McAfee Stinger is a standalone energy made use of to discover and eliminate specific viruses. It’& rsquo; s not an alternative to complete antivirus security, but a specialized device to help managers and customers when dealing with contaminated system. Stinger utilizes next-generation check technology, including rootkit scanning, and also scan efficiency optimizations. It identifies as well as gets rid of hazards identified under the “” Danger List”” option under Advanced menu choices in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger currently discovers and gets rid of GameOver Zeus as well as CryptoLocker.
How do you utilize Stinger?
- Download and install the current variation of Stinger.
- When motivated, select to conserve the data to a practical location on your hard disk, such as your Desktop folder.
- When the download is complete, navigate to the folder that contains the downloaded Stinger documents, and run it.
- The Stinger interface will certainly be presented.
- By default, Stinger checks for running procedures, packed components, windows registry, WMI as well as directory places recognized to be utilized by malware on a maker to keep check times marginal. If needed, click the “” Customize my check”” web link to include additional drives/directories to your check.
- Stinger has the capability to check targets of Rootkits, which is not enabled by default.
- Click the Check button to begin scanning the specified drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will certainly fix any type of infected files it finds.
- Stinger leverages GTI File Reputation as well as runs network heuristics at Medium level by default. If you pick “” High”” or “” Extremely High,”” McAfee Labs recommends that you set the “” On danger discovery”” action to “” Record”” only for the initial scan.
To learn more concerning GTI Documents Online reputation see the following KB write-ups
KB 53735 – Frequently Asked Questions for Global Danger Knowledge Data Track Record
KB 60224 – Exactly how to validate that GTI Documents Reputation is mounted properly
KB 65525 – Identification of generically identified malware (International Threat Intelligence discoveries)
you can find more here mcafee stinger from Our Articles
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I know I have an infection, however Stinger did not detect one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not a substitute for a full anti-virus scanner. It is just made to discover as well as eliminate particular dangers.
Q: Stinger located a virus that it couldn'’ t repair work. Why is this? A: This is more than likely as a result of Windows System Restore functionality having a lock on the infected data. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 individuals should disable system restore before scanning.
Q: Where is the check log conserved as well as just how can I view them?
A: By default the log data is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, navigate to the log TAB and also the logs are shown as list with time stamp, clicking on the log file name opens up the documents in the HTML style.
Q: Where are the Quarantine submits saved?
A: The quarantine files are saved under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the “” Threat Checklist”” alternative under Advanced food selection utilized for?
A: The Danger List offers a listing of malware that Stinger is set up to discover. This checklist does not have the results from running a scan.
Q: Exist any type of command-line criteria offered when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line criteria are shown by going to the assistance menu within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and now have a Stinger.opt file, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it develops the Stinger.opt data that saves the current Stinger setup. When you run Stinger the following time, your previous arrangement is made use of as long as the Stinger.opt documents is in the exact same directory as Stinger.
Q: Stinger updated parts of VirusScan. Is this expected habits?
A: When the Rootkit scanning option is picked within Stinger choices –– VSCore files (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will be updated to 15.x. These files are mounted only if more recent than what'’ s on the system and is needed to scan for today’& rsquo; s generation of newer rootkits. If the rootkit scanning alternative is disabled within Stinger –– the VSCore upgrade will certainly not take place.
Q: Does Stinger carry out rootkit scanning when released through ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve handicapped rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO package to limit the car update of VSCore components when an admin deploys Stinger to thousands of makers. To make it possible for rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please use the adhering to parameters while signing in the Stinger plan in ePO:
— reportpath=%temperature%– rootkit
For detailed directions, please refer to KB 77981
Q: What versions of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, Panorama SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. In addition, Stinger needs the machine to have Internet Explorer 8 or above.
Q: What are the demands for Stinger to execute in a Victory PE atmosphere?
A: While producing a custom Windows PE picture, include assistance for HTML Application parts using the directions given in this walkthrough.
Q: Exactly how can I obtain assistance for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees concerning this item.
Q: Exactly how can I add personalized discoveries to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the choice where a user can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a custom blacklist. During a system scan, if any kind of data match the custom-made blacklisted hashes – the documents will certainly obtain discovered and also deleted. This function is given to help power individuals who have isolated a malware sample(s) for which no discovery is available yet in the DAT data or GTI Data Reputation. To take advantage of this function:
- From the Stinger interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be identified either through the Get in Hash switch or click the Lots hash List button to indicate a text file consisting of MD5 hashes to be consisted of in the scan. SHA1, SHA 256 or other hash types are in need of support.
- During a scan, files that match the hash will have a discovery name of Stinger!<
>. Complete dat repair service is applied on the discovered documents.
- Data that are digitally authorized utilizing a legitimate certificate or those hashes which are already marked as clean in GTI Data Online reputation will not be found as part of the customized blacklist. This is a safety attribute to stop users from mistakenly deleting documents.
Q: Just how can run Stinger without the Actual Protect component getting mounted?
A: The Stinger-ePO bundle does not carry out Genuine Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect getting set up, implement Stinger.exe